Recognizing the best structures in systems-built housing, each award category reflects the unique nature of a building technique (log, timber frame, modular, panelized and concrete) represented by the Building Systems Councils.
All types of construction — including single-family, multifamily and commercial buildings — are eligible to compete. Qualified projects must be completed within the last 24 months. Entries submitted for previous years’ competitions are not permitted. Manufacturers and builders of log, timber frame, panelized, concrete and modular homes are eligible for recognition. To win, entries must meet the criteria outlined below.
Criteria for Entry
- A completed Excellence in Home Design online application form and payment.
- A Project Statement of the home/project, highlighting any outstanding features or similarly pertinent information that will assist the judges in the evaluation process. Please also include a description of the amount and level of customization performed after the home was assembled on site.
- Complete set of floor plans or schematics.
- Exterior photography of at least the front and rear elevations of the home.
- Interior photography of important design features and other elements that will help the judges get a complete picture of the home.
Individual awards are presented for log, modular and panelized homes in the following categories:
- Less than 2,000 square feet
- 2,001 – 3,000 square feet
- 3,001 – 4,000 square feet
- More than 4,000 square feet
Entries are also accepted for homes built using timber frame and concrete construction, although they compete in a single categories and are not subdivided by square footage.
A single award is presented across all manufacturing disciplines for multifamily and commercial buildings.