The NAHB Defender of Housing Award recognizes courageous federal legislators who have demonstrated strong support for housing and NAHB positions on key issues facing the industry. The award, fashioned in the likeness of a traditional house key, is awarded biannually.
The 2022 nomination period for the 117th Congress is now open. HBAs are encouraged to consider the contributions their legislators have made in support of home building, remodeling, and development, and submit an application on their behalf. Nominations are being accepted now through Oct. 1, 2022. Award winners will be announced throughout the 2022 election season.
Nominations for the Defender of Housing Awards should demonstrate a combination of the following:
- Have received or been approved for a BUILD-PAC contribution
- Have demonstrated a pro housing voting record- including key votes
- Have met with association members in district 1 time per year
- Have introduced or co- sponsored legislation relevant to housing industry
- Have participated in achieving a regulatory victory for the housing industry (letters to agency, speeches, hearings, etc.)
- Made positive comments about housing role in economy on House / Senate floor or in press
Each nominee is reviewed by a select group of NAHB Federal Government Affairs Committee members before being chosen for this national award. And each legislator honored helps raise the profile of the state or local HBA who made the nomination.
You can view the 2020 award recipients on the map below.