To kick off NAHB Professional Women in Building Week (PWB), NAHB is focusing on some of PWB's key accomplishments from introducing students to residential construction to PWB members scoring top honors at The National Awards during the International Builders' Show in Las Vegas.
- An Alabama Building Camp introduced the trades to middle school girls. The Baldwin County Home Builders Association completed its first Baldwin Girls Build Camp, hosting 18 middle schoolers for a weeklong program. The girls made a lamp from scratch, created a toolbox, and listened to speakers from the home building industry.
- PWBC leader Eva Fryar created more opportunities for women in building. Fryar helped pilot a secondary schools construction management competition, which led to the formation of an NAHB student chapter.
- The Builders Association of Central Pennsylvania's PWB council and Penn State held an event to promote women in trades. The day-long workshop titled "Construct Your Future" hosted 50 students from six high schools and trade schools in the area, and featured presentations from women builders.
- PWB members Nora Spencer and Mollie Elkman earned top honors. Spencer, the Founder & CEO of Hope Renovations, won NAHB Woman of the Year, and Elkman, owner and president of Group Two and author of The House That She Built, won Member of the Year.
- PWB members attended the fourth annual Build My Future-ACE Career Day & Industry Showcase in Iowa. The volunteers made it possible for 785 students to spend the day getting hands-on experience with construction industry practices like carpentry and plumbing.
- Nora Spencer was honored as CNN Hero for her nonprofit work. Her work included graduating more than 40 women and non-binary people from her nonprofit, Hope Renovations, which helps individuals pursue living-wage jobs in the construction trades.
Visit NAHB's Professional Women in Building Week web page for access to a variety of resources and tools you can use to help spread awareness about the positive impact women are having on the residential construction industry.
In addition, PWB will host Shop Talks throughout the month. On Sept. 11 at 11 a.m. ET join Passing the Baton to the Next Generation of Residential Construction Leaders and on Sept. 13 at 11 a.m. ET tune in to Women Moving from Employees to Entrepreneurs.
Discover opportunities to celebrate PWB Week and participate in activities using the 2023 PWB Week Toolkit.