Salish Way - High Performance Affordable Housing: Premier Building Systems LLC
WINNER: Multifamily Project
Manufacturer: Premier Building Systems LLC
Builder: Lopez Community Land Trust
Location: Lopez Island, Wash.
Lopez Community Land Trust (LCLT) builds affordable housing for working islanders. The homes are constructed as net-zero energy to reduce overall operating costs, and incorporate high-quality materials that are long lasting and sustainable, and low-maintenance features. This was the first time structural insulated panel (SIP) construction was used in the 32-year history of LCLT
Homeowners help build the homes alongside skilled carpenters. SIP construction was chosen because the pandemic was raging, and a shorted time on-site and proximity to workers on the site was necessary. Solar panels will be part of a community solar system through local energy supplier OPALCO.
The home employs sustainable materials and design features such as:
- Low-VOC paints and finishes,
- Sustainable cabinets,
- Locally milled fir siding,
- Rainwater catchment for all irrigation,
- Passive solar design,
- Low-e/high-SHGC windows,
- Induction cooking appliances,
- Energy-efficient lighting fixtures,
- A Mitsubishi ductless heat pump and
- Under slab continuous insulation R-10 to help keep the interior temperature levels consistent without continuous energy consumption.