The Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) today announced it will conduct a comprehensive review of the Federal Home Loan Bank (FHLBank) System beginning this fall.
As part of the review process, FHFA will host two public listening sessions and a series of regional roundtable discussions to gather feedback in six key areas:
- The FHLBanks’ general mission and purpose in a changing marketplace;
- FHLBank organization, operational efficiency, and effectiveness;
- FHLBanks’ role in promoting affordable, sustainable, equitable, and resilient housing and community investment;
- Addressing the unique needs of rural and financially vulnerable communities;
- Member products, services, and collateral requirements; and
- Membership eligibility and requirements.
FHFA is also accepting written comments through Oct. 21, 2022.
The FHLBanks are an important source of liquidity for the housing finance system. They also provide significant support to low-income housing and community development by offering a variety of programs to their members, including the Affordable Housing Program, the Community Investment Program and the Community Investment Cash Advance Program.