Every day, high school and college students in construction programs are learning skills to prepare for the exciting opportunities within the building industry. NAHB’s Student Chapter program is dedicated to enriching students’ educational experience, and offers first-hand exposure to the real world of the building industry through membership, educational programming and networking opportunities. NAHB Student Chapter members also have access to the same member benefits as a builder, associate or affiliate member.
Individual student chapters at schools across the country work with NAHB and local HBAs to enrich students. The Student Chapters Advisory Board oversees the NAHB Student Chapters program, which is generously supported by our corporate partners.
NAHB Student Chapters also runs the NAHB Student Competition, a real-world construction management and planning contest for students at the high school, two-year college and four-year college/university levels. The competition is often a highlight of the International Builders’ Show.
Distance Learning Resources for Student Chapters
Most school districts and post-secondary campuses in the U.S. are closed through the end of the 2019-2020 school year due to the spread of coronavirus. Many are engaging in distance learning so that students do not fall behind.
NAHB Student Chapters has developed resources for teachers to use in their distance learning efforts for construction, construction management, shop, technology, and physical science classes. This includes two Google Classrooms where educators can share lesson plans and other materials.
- Webinar on resources for post-secondary educators
- Webinar on resources for secondary educators
- Lesson plans for middle school educators (under the Lesson Plans tab)
To join the Construction and Trades Google Classrooms
- Go to classroom.google.com and click Sign In. Sign in with your personal Google Account (for educators who already use an institutional Google Classroom with their work email, signing in may be difficult, so please try a separate account).
- At the top right, click Add and Join class.
- Enter the class code. Secondary use code 7zqbfqb. Post-Secondary use code wmsnhju.
Student Chapter Alumni Membership
Alumni membership allows NAHB student members in affiliated student chapters to remain members at a reduced rate for three years after graduation from a secondary or post-secondary school. If a student chapter alumnus resides in a jurisdiction where neither the local nor state HBA has adopted the alumni dues category, the alumnus can join NAHB directly as an at-large member.