NAHB is inviting all student members and local associations to join us in celebrating Careers in Construction Month in October. The goal is to get involved in your community to help increase public awareness of the opportunities available in construction trades professions.
Although October is officially Careers in Construction Month, you can choose any month, week, or day that works for you. The most important thing is for local and state associations and members to do something each calendar year. Ongoing efforts are important to achieve your goal of increasing the number of professional construction related employees in your area.
Use this toolkit to maximize your participation in this special event.
Marketing and Advertising Materials
Email Header/Banner (600x300)
Facebook Group Cover Banner (click to download)
Facebook Event Cover Banner (click to download)
Sample Social Media Posts (click to download)
Whether virtual or in-person, hosting an event can be an effective way of sharing career opportunities and engaging young individuals with your community's builder members. Select a few activities that you and your members can do in your community to spread the word about careers in construction.
NAHB held a Zoom call recently to discuss ideas for Careers in Construction Month programming. Watch a recording of the call (Passcode: k3tF.hUZ).
Working with your local schools is a great way to help start the conversation. Connect with your Student Chapters to schedule events on their calendars and to find out which activities match best with their classroom and program needs.
- Open Up Your Site, Virtually: Ask a local construction site to host a virtual field trip. Camera phones and drones are great tools for capturing the attention of any audience. Students will be able to gather first-hand information about what it takes to have a successful career in construction.
- Equipment Demonstrations: Take five minutes to showcase how to use one or more tools or pieces of equipment on the jobsite. You can do a live, remote demonstration and/or record your video and post on social media with the tag #CareersInConstructionMonth.
- Build a Resume: Help students prepare for a career in construction by coordinating a resume building session. Provide interview and resume tips.
- Visit a Classroom: Zoom and other video conferencing programs make remote presentations or slideshows a breeze. Present the customizable Careers in the Construction Trades PowerPoint to local students. Also, access the Cheat Sheet for using the Careers in Construction Trades presentation.
- Proclaim October as Careers in Constructions Month: Help us make Careers in Construction Month officially recognized in every state! Any state resident can file a proclamation for his or her governor or mayor to sign. Here is a sample proclamation and proclamation tips to get you started.
Start an NAHB Student Chapter
Access the Student Chapters Best Practices Guide.