The Housing Credit Certified Professional (HCCP) credential is a specialized designation for developers, property managers, asset managers, state housing agency professionals and others working in the affordable housing industry through the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program. To earn the HCCP designation, candidates typically enroll in a 10-hour training course through one of numerous HCCP distributors. Following this training, HCCP designee candidates must take and pass the HCCP exam — which is offered via a distributor — and also meet the other requirements noted below.
Requirements for Achieving the HCCP Designation
- Successful completion of an in-person HCCP Exam ($175 fee; $100 for retakes) or the online live proctored HCCP Exam ($204 fee; $129 for retakes).
- Minimum of two years’ experience in the LIHTC industry. (Those who do not yet meet this requirement may consider themselves an HCCP candidate until reaching two years of experience.)
- Adherence to the HCCP Code of Ethics
Benefits of Achieving the HCCP Designation
NAHB staff and the HCCP Board of Governors are committed to maintaining and expanding the professional benefits of obtaining the HCCP designation. These benefits include:
- Receipt of a highly respected and recognized HCCP designation certifying that the candidate has mastered a broad and detailed body of knowledge related to the LIHTC program
- A congratulatory welcome kit, including a plaque, HCCP lapel pin, HCCP ribbon and sample press release for your company to use internally or for local media recognition
- Inclusion in the HCCP section of the online Professionals With Home Building Designations Directory
- A subscription to The Credential, a quarterly e-newsletter developed by the HCCP Board of Governors to provide HCCPs the latest LIHTC industry information
- Discounted or free registration to one-hour educational webinars offered quarterly. HCCPs who attend each webinar can fulfill their annual continuing education requirement.
- Access to the professional LinkedIn group for active HCCPs
- Access to LIHTC technical assistance through NAHB staff and the HCCP Board of Governors
HCCP Training and Exam
Several distributor organizations across the United States are approved to offer the HCCP exam as NAHB Distributors. Most offer training in-person and online in conjunction with the exam. Separate fees apply for training offered by distributors, and candidates should contact them directly for additional information regarding training course offerings and schedules. The NAHB Facebook page provides a current list of upcoming HCCP courses offered by distributors.
View an upcoming schedule of in-person HCCP exams and exam retakes by visiting the NAHB Education Calendar and searching for “Housing Credit Certified Professional.” If there is not one listed or convenient, it means that there is not one currently scheduled. You will need to check back at a later time or reach out directly to a distributor near you.
Organizations interested in distributing the HCCP exam should contact Dean Schwanke at (800) 368-5242 x8392 to find out what is required.
Online exam and re-take exams results are typically processed within 10 business days.
Please note: HCCP candidates who took training previously with a distributor prior to an exam and are looking for a certificate of completion should contact the distributor directly.
Preparing for the HCCP Exam
The HCCP exam is designed for current LIHTC practitioners. It covers development, compliance and management issues and is a comprehensive, multiple-choice exam with a “best answer” format. The exam is proctored over 2.5 hours. The pass rate is subject to change based on the current exam version. Industry experience, coupled with a review of the content found in a training course, should help you prepare. View Sample Exam Questions for the list of testable subject areas and other tips for helping you pass the exam. Contact HCCP distributors to discuss their training program and scheduled HCCP exam.
Obtaining the HCCP Designation
Once a candidate has passed the HCCP exam, they must complete and submit the online HCCP Professional Profile and Application, or the print version, to the HCCP program administrator with application fees. Please note submittal via email and fax are not inclusive in the online application process. The HCCP application fee is $175 for NAHB members and $200 for non-members. If candidates do not complete this process within the three-year period following their successful passing of the HCCP exam, they will be required to retake the exam. Complete the online HCCP application.
Maintaining the HCCP Designation
Designees can keep their HCCP designation in good standing by completing four hours of LIHTC-related continuing education (CE) each year. Designees are not required to send in proof of CE earned at time of renewal. If they are chosen for a random audit, NAHB will contact them directly and ask for the proof of CE at that time. Designees may submit proof of continuing education using our online or mail/fax CE form.
Also, designees are required to pay the annual renewal fee of $175 for NAHB members or $235 for non-members. HCCPs will receive their renewal invoice via email about 60 days before their designation is set to expire. If your contact information has changed, please update it using the online form.
Need a renewal invoice? Call the Professional Designations Helpline at 800-368-5242 x8154.
Effective Jan. 1, 2017, designees who have lapsed longer than one year from their renewal date will pay a $50 reinstatement fee in addition to the renewal fee. Those who have lapsed longer than three years must retake the HCCP exam at the exam retake price and submit payment of renewal fee in addition to the reinstatement fee.
HCCP Board and Technical Advisory Group Contact Information
For questions, comments or concerns, please contact any member of the HCCP Board of Governors or the Technical Advisory Group.