The Housing Credit Certified Professional (HCCP) is a specialized designation for developers, property managers, asset managers and others working in the affordable housing industry through the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program.
Requirements for achieving the HCCP designation
- Successful completion of the HCCP Exam ($175 fee; $100 for retakes) or of the online live proctored HCCP Exam ($204 fee; $129 for retakes*).
*At this time, re-take exams are not available online. Please check back for updated information.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in the LIHTC industry by graduation (Those who fail to meet this requirement may consider themselves an HCCP-Candidate until reaching two years of experience.)
- A total of 10 hours of LIHTC training
- Adherence to the HCCP Code of Ethics
Benefits of Achieving the HCCP Designation
NAHB staff and the HCCP Board of Governors are committed to maintaining and expanding the professional benefits of obtaining the HCCP designation, which include:
- A congratulatory welcome kit, including a plaque, HCCP lapel pin, HCCP ribbon and sample press release for your company to use internally or for local media recognition
- Your name listed in the online HCCP Directory
- A subscription to The Credential, a quarterly e-newsletter developed by the HCCP Board of Governors to bring HCCPs the latest tax credit industry information
- Discounted registration to one-hour educational webinars offered quarterly. HCCPs that attend each webinar fulfill their annual continuing education requirement.
- Opportunity to attend the annual reception and networking event honoring the HCCP of the Year
- Access to the professional LinkedIn group exclusively for active HCCPs
- Access to LIHTC technical assistance through NAHB staff and the HCCP Board of Governors
Taking the HCCP Exam
Several organizations across the United States are approved to offer the HCCP exam as NAHB Distributors. Most offer training in-person and online in conjunction with the exam. Separate fees apply to training offered by distributors and you must contact them directly for additional information. It is not mandatory to repeat training unless you feel you need the refresher.
If you are near a local home builders association with an education license, you can ask them if they will proctor the in-person exam for you. Home builder associations do not offer any type of training. View an upcoming schedule of in-person HCCP exams and exam retakes by visiting our Course Calendar and searching for “Housing Credit Certified Professional.” If there is not one listed or convenient, it means that there is not one currently scheduled. You will want to check back at a later point.
Organizations interested in distributing the HCCP exam should contact Paula Pagano at (800) 368-5242 x8435 to find out what is required.
NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, HCCP exam results from in person exam sessions will take longer than the usual 4-6 weeks. This situation is fluid. Thanks for your patience.
Online exam and re-take exams results are processed within 10 business days.
Please note: If you took training previously with a Distributor prior to an exam and are looking for a certificate for completing training, you will need to contact the Distributor directly. You are not permitted to review any portion of the exam or your answers.
Preparing for the HCCP Exam
The HCCP exam is designed for current LIHTC practitioners. It covers development, compliance and management issues and is a comprehensive, multiple-choice exam with a “best answer” format. The exam is proctored over 2.5 hours. The pass rate is subject to change based on exam version. Industry experience, coupled with a review of the content found in a training course, should help you prepare. View Sample Exam Questions for the list of testable subject areas and other tips for helping you pass the exam. Contact HCCP distributors to discuss their training program and scheduled HCCP exam.
Obtaining the HCCP Designation
Once you have passed the HCCP exam, you must submit your completed HCCP Profile and Application and the application fee of $175 for NAHB members or $200 for non-members to the HCCP program administrator. If you do not complete this process within the three-year period, you will be required to retake the exam. Complete the online HCCP application.
Maintaining the HCCP Designation
Keep your HCCP designation in good standing by completing four hours of LIHTC-related continuing education (CE) each year. Designees are not required to send in proof of CE earned at time of renewal. If they are chosen for a random audit, NAHB will contact them directly and ask for the proof of CE at that time. You can submit this documentation using the CE form.
Also, you are required to pay the annual renewal fee of $175 for NAHB members or $235 for non-members. HCCPs will receive their renewal invoice via email about 60 days before their designation is set to expire. If your contact information has changed, please update it using the online form.
Need a renewal invoice? Call the Professional Designations Helpline at 800-368-5242 x8154.
HCCP Board and Technical Advisory Group Contact Information
For questions, comments or concerns, please contact any member of the HCCP Board of Governors or the Technical Advisory Group.