NAHB is inviting all student members and local associations to join us in celebrating Careers in Construction Month in October. Get involved in your community to help increase public awareness of the opportunities available in the skilled trades.
Although October is officially Careers in Construction Month, you can choose any month, week, or day that works for you. Ongoing efforts are important to achieving the goal of increasing the number of construction professionals in your area.
Special Events and Programs
Workforce Development Champions Forum, Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2022
October is the perfect time to recognize contributions made by the professionals working in construction, instill a sense of pride in the industry, increase awareness and foster a positive career image. During this installment of the Champions Forum, a panel of experts will provide ideas for activities that will ignite industry interest and make a lasting impression on your community. Register now.
Careers in Construction Day, Monday, Oct. 10, 2022
On this special day, HBAs are encouraged to organize a group of members to participate in a community service build project.
- Demonstrate teamwork with a group project.
- Work in your community and heighten awareness of construction careers locally.
- Reach out to Habitat for Humanity, your Parks and Recreation dept., or other community group to identify a collaborative project
- Post on social using #CICDAY2022 and #CareersInConstruction
Build Across America Day, Saturday, Oct. 29, 2022
This year, NAHB will provide HBAs with resources for Build Across America Day, a national workforce development program introducing children to the trades during Careers in Construction Month in October. View and download the promotional flyer. HBAs can register to receive complimentary The House That She Built event materials. Questions? Contact Patricia Potts.
Team Building Activity Guides
Marketing and Advertising Materials
Email Header/Social Media Image - 600x300 (right click and “Save image as”)
Facebook Event Cover Banner (click to download)
Sample Social Media Posts (click to download)
Whether virtual or in-person, hosting an event can be an effective way of sharing career opportunities and engaging young individuals with your community’s builder members. Select a few activities that you and your members can do in your community to spread the word about careers in construction.
Working with your local schools is a great way to help start the conversation. Connect with your Student Chapters to schedule events on their calendars and to find out which activities match best with their classroom and program needs.
- Open Up Your Site: Ask a local construction site to host an in-person or virtual field trip. Students will be able to gather first-hand information about what it takes to have a successful career in construction.
- Equipment Demonstrations: Take five minutes to showcase how to use one or more tools or pieces of equipment on the jobsite. You can do a live, remote demonstration and/or record your video and post on social media with the tag #CareersInConstructionMonth.
- Build a Resume: Help students prepare for a career in construction by coordinating a resume building session. Provide interview and resume tips.
- Visit a Classroom: Zoom and other video conferencing programs make remote presentations or slideshows a breeze. Present the customizable Careers in the Construction Trades PowerPoint to local students. Also, access the Cheat Sheet for using the Careers in Construction Trades presentation.
- Proclaim October as Careers in Constructions Month: Help us make Careers in Construction Month officially recognized in every state! Any state resident can file a proclamation for his or her governor or mayor to sign. Here is a sample proclamation and proclamation tips to get you started.
Start an NAHB Student Chapter
Access the Student Chapters Best Practices Guide.