Starting a New Student Chapter
NAHB Student Chapters provide students interested in construction real world exposure to the home building industry through NAHB membership benefits, educational programming and networking opportunities. Student chapters can be created at high schools and at trade schools, colleges and universities offering two-year or four-year programs.
Starting a student chapter creates a win-win-win for all parties involved:
- Students receive a practical, hands-on education and obtain skills and connections they can use to begin a rewarding career immediately after graduation.
- Schools and faculty have access to resources to provide students with further enrichment and a viable career path.
- HBAs and home builders can develop relationships with local schools and students that may help with workforce challenges.
Starting a New Chapter
An NAHB Student Chapter can be founded by a student, faculty member, HBA or home builder through an HBA. Get the nuts and bolts of chapter formation, including relevant forms and applicable rules and bylaws, by downloading the Student Chapters Best Practices Guide.
For HBAs and Home Builders
- Download the About NAHB Student Chapters presentation for your next board or general membership meeting to explain how Student Chapters work and how they benefit your HBA. You can also use it to explain the NAHB Student Chapter program to faculty.
- Identify a school you would like to sponsor and enlist an interested member of the administration or faculty to help recruit students.
For Students or School Faculty
- Enlist a faculty advisor and recruit a group of interested students from your school. There is no minimum or maximum requirement for the number of student members.
- Seek sponsorship from your local HBA. Your local association must sign the affiliation agreement form and agree to be involved with your school. Find your local HBA.
Next Steps for Everyone
Complete and submit the Student Chapter Application for Affiliation. Email the signed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download and complete the Student Chapter Roster Form.
Print the completed student roster and submit it and your check payment to:
NAHB Membership Dues
PO Box 719281
Philadelphia, PA 19171-9281
High School and Secondary Programs: $5 per student, or $200 for unlimited student members. (Renewing chapters will receive an emailed invoice sent to the primary faculty advisor on file.)
Post-Secondary Programs: $25 per student, or $400 early-bird rate for unlimited student members.
NOTE: This student chapter dues structure is subject to change.