NAHB Legal Action Fund Helps HBAs Fight Unfair Rules
At the 2023 International Builders' Show, NAHB's Legal Action Committee once again considered applications for financial assistance in legal actions that could impact the industry nationally. Through the Legal Action Fund, NAHB helps state and local home builders associations and members with funding for their legal challenges.
The NAHB Legal Action Committee recommended Legal Action Fund assistance to five HBAs.
- NAHB provided a grant to the Oregon Home Builders Association for issues under the umbrella of "climate change," which amounts to a multi-prong attack on single-family housing.
- The Building Industry Association of Washington received a grant to fight a new state rule that levies a "surcharge" on each document filed during the building and sale of a new home.
- The Metropolitan Builders Association of Greater Milwaukee received a grant to challenge a local jurisdiction's systemic failure to refund up front utility costs.
- NAHB also supported the California Building Industry Association in its fight against a new campaign finance law that mandates recusal of elected officials from decisions where they received $250 in campaign donations from anyone affected by the pending decision.
- NAHB continued its support of the Home Builders Association of Michigan in a codes and standards litigation that has been ongoing since 2010.
The next round of Legal Action Fund applications is due to the Office of Legal Affairs by Tuesday, May 9, 2023.
If you are considering litigation, want to submit an application, or you have questions about the fund, please contact Lavon Roxbury, 202- 266-8359.