The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is reminding everyone to be safe during the holidays and consider the fire impact of decorations. Its tips for a safe, festive home include:
- Water your live Christmas tree every day. A dry tree is a fire hazard. Trees too close to a heat source cause one in every four winter fires.
- Make sure you are using the right lights. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
- Choose holiday decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Keep lit candles away from decorations and things that can burn. More than one-third of home decoration fires are started by candles. Consider using flameless candles: they look very similar and are safer.
- Blow out lit candles and turn off all light strings and decorations when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Make sure your decorations don't block windows and doors.