Updated Residential Building Codes Coming Your Way Soon
The International Code Council (ICC) will soon publish the 2021 edition of the International Residential Code® (IRC®), and many states and jurisdictions will begin considering plans next year to adopt or upgrade to the latest IRC and other I-Codes. The 2021 IRC includes many changes to structural, fire, egress and energy efficiency requirements. Key significant changes include:
- Revised footing size tables with more reasonable footing widths for typical homes.
- Three-foot wide path between fenced yards leading to a public way allowed for emergency escape and rescue.
- Wind-borne debris protection requirements in hurricane-prone regions expanded to sites adjacent to large inland lakes and rivers.
- Required wall insulation in Climate Zones 4 and 5 increased to R5 continuous plus R20 cavity insulation.
- Required attic insulation in Climate Zones 4 through 8 increased to R60.
- Craig Drumheller, Assistant Vice President, x8565
- Vladimir Kochkin, Director: Energy and Green, x8574
- Gary Ehrlich, Director: Structural, Resilience, x8545
- Dan Buuck, Senior Program Manager: Plumbing, Mechanical, Electrical and Fire Suppression/Detection, x8366
- Cesar Lujan, Program Manager: Accessibility, Egress and Fire-resistant Construction, x8303