2020 Virtual Legislative Conference Begins Today
NAHB's three-day 2020 Legislative Conference kicks off today, and there is still time to participate and schedule online meetings with your members of Congress. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, this year's conference is completely virtual.
Because NAHB members will not be visiting Capitol Hill, the virtual meetings with your federal lawmakers will actually create greater opportunities for increased participation, as hosting meetings online allow more members to attend this critical grassroots conference and get involved with advocacy efforts. Contact your local home builders association to find out how you can engage with your federal lawmakers.
Tips to PrepareA goal of these virtual meetings is to keep them at the same level as if they were held in person. Here are some tips to prepare:
- Dress the part — meetings on Capitol Hill usually require business attire.
- It is very easy to speak over others on a virtual call, so make sure you are waiting for the appropriate time to comment.
- Follow your local guidelines for social distancing and stay-at-home orders.
- U.S. House of Representatives
- U.S. Senate
- Template meeting invitation
- 2020 NAHB Legislative Priorities brochure
- NAHB key issues videos
- Lobbying tips