Boys & Girls Clubs of America
NAHB has teamed up with The Boys & Girls Clubs of America to introduce more of America’s youth to a future career in residential construction. The agreement comes as the residential construction industry continues to struggle to overcome the lack of available skilled trade workers.
The Boys & Girls Clubs provide safe places where young people can learn and grow. The organization believes every kid and teen deserves access to experiences and opportunities that change their lives for the better – regardless of their socio-economic status, color of their skin, or other factors that contribute to inequities. Learn more about the club members.
NAHB and The Boys and Girls Clubs of America have a shared commitment to building stronger communities by recruiting the next generation of skilled laborers in the housing industry. Get involved.
The collaboration aims to build better communities at the local level by working together to promote construction career pathways and connect the industry with youth to provide career exploration and work-based learning activities. The initial broad-based goals are to:
- Build local connections between NAHB member organizations and Boys & Girls Clubs in local communities.
- Expand awareness and excitement of the partnership.
- Collaborate with Government Relations to support career pathways and workforce development.
HBA Pilot Program
John McKenzie, a Madison Area Builders Association (MABA) member for 30 years, launched a successful partnership with his local Boys and Girls Club and MABA. He proposed the idea to NAHB and in 2022, NAHB and The Boys & Girls Clubs of America launched a pilot program. A select group of home builder associations (HBAs) worked with their local Boys & Girls Club to mentor young men and women, showcase the multiple career opportunities available in the home building industry and help guide them to choose a career in residential construction.
The pilot group included the following participants:
- Boys & Girls Club of Aberdeen Area and the Aberdeen (SD) Home Builders Association
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Alabama and the Greater Birmingham Association of Home Builders
- Boys and Girls Club of Metro Atlanta and the Greater Atlanta Home Builders Association
- Ulbrich Boys and Girls Clubs and the Home Builders & Remodelers Association of Central Connecticut
- Boys & Girls Club of Dane County and the Madison (WI) Area Builders Association
- Boys & Girls Club of Lawrence and the Lawrence (KS) Home Builders Association
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Tarrant County and the Greater Fort Worth Builders Association
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Memphis and the West Tennessee Home Builders Association
If your HBA would like to learn more about the pilot program or get involved, please fill out this form to share your current workforce development activities and your level of interest in joining the program.