Finding qualified skilled trade professionals continues to be a challenge for builders across the country. To help attract the next generation of skilled trades professionals, NAHB is highlighting Career and Technical Education Month®, or CTE Month®, in February. CTE Month®
is a public awareness campaign that takes place each February to celebrate the value of CTE.
Career and technical education (CTE) directly prepares students for high-wage, high-demand careers. This educational track encompasses a variety of fields from information technology to advanced manufacturing. Educational initiatives within CTE include classroom learning, certification programs and other work-based learning opportunities outside the classroom.
Here are some ways you can help raise CTE awareness during February:
- Participate in Job Shadow Week, Feb. 1-4. Members can host students for a day at their place of business so that students can see real-world examples of careers in action. If your workplace or school is limiting in-person interaction, consider virtually sharing a "day in the life" of your career with a classroom.
- Host a Career Exploration Panel at your home builders' association (HBA) office, Feb. 7-11. Highlight worthwhile job opportunities available in residential construction and rewarding lifestyles.
- Donate equipment, Feb. 14-18. HBAs may be in a prime position to donate equipment or supplies that meet industry standards, ensuring that students in secondary and post-secondary institutions have access to appropriate instruments for the respective career fields they hope to enter.
- Teach a middle school lesson plan for Teach-In Week, Feb. 21-25. Engage students at the middle school level, and create excitement for technical career pathways. View sample lesson plans under the "Lessons Plans" tab.
- Share on social media. Use photos, link to press releases or share your CTE story on social media. Include hashtags #CTEmonth, #CareersinConstruction, #STEM, #WorkforceDevelopment and #CareerTechEd.
For more ideas to promote workforce development year-round, state and local HBA members are invited to attend the Workforce Development Champions Forum
on Tuesday, Feb. 8, at 10 a.m. during the 2022 International Builders' Show in person in Orlando. The forum is designed to help HBAs develop workforce development partnerships and programs that attract students, parents, educators and your community.
Visit the workforce development resource page
on nahb.org for more workforce development tools and information. Questions? Contact Greg Zick