Finish Werks has been building fully custom modular homes for 14 years. During the recession FW became an Energy Star Partner, in 2008. Harris re-focused his designs and tasked modular manufacturers to build better: Value engineering high-performance. Prevailing off-the-shelf material suppliers & vendors were pushed to supply the best window glazing options, deeper wall insulation and foam-board sheathing, and detailed air sealing. He adopted OVE framing with insulated headers, and fully insulated basement foundations. Result:
Cost-effective building enclosures that are durable, comfortable, extremely energy efficient, and contribute to far better indoor air quality.
Harris followed up with advanced heating/cooling and water heating systems – again using established technologies and suppliers – to drive down energy costs to just 40% of existing homes based on the HERS Index. Forty Percent. Before the addition of solar power.
One of just three Master CGP's in Maryland, Harris currently speaks across the U.S. about disrupting modular construction with higher performance, and driving home the efficacy of this increasingly sought after building method.
• Vice President: MBIA Green Building Council
• Board Member: Modular Home Builders Association
• Board Member: NAHB Building Systems Council
• Founding Member: Efficiency First/MDBPA
• Founding Member: (then) MD Gov. O’Malley’s Green Registry
• UMCP BS: Training & Development/Production Mgt
• Resides in Howard Co, MD with his wife and 4 children