High Performance Building Online Courses
Learn how to implement cost-effective green building techniques and boost your production efficiency by taking the online courses, High Performance Building for Building Professionals and Advanced High Performance Building: Project Management.
Both courses are available in a full course format or as individual modules, and reference the newly revised ICC/ASHRAE 700-2015 National Green Building Standard™ (NGBS). Earn continuing education credit towards a NAHB designation or get AIA continuing education credit.
To learn more about NAHB Continuing Education Credit and AIA credit, please click on each individual course link below for more details.
These courses are registered with AIA CES for continuing professional education.
The National Association of Home Builders is a Registered Provider with The American Institute of Architects Continuing Education Systems. Credit(s) earned on completion of this course will be reported to AIA CES for AIA members. Certificates of Completion for both AIA members and non-AIA members are available upon request.
High Performance Building for Building Professionals - With a focus on flexibility, a sound knowledge base and cost-effective solutions, this 12 hour full course provides the tools for a successful green project, and includes a review of the NGBS.
- High Performance Building as a Business Strategy - This 1 hour module reviews how to overcome the perception that high performance building costs too much and that the added benefits do not justify the costs. It also addresses how to discuss the return on investment (ROI) with the customer.
- Operation, Maintenance and Building Owner Education - This 1 hour module specifically addresses the areas of operation, maintenance and owner education, including the content of building owners’ manuals for single-family and multifamily dwellings, building owner training for single- and two-family structures and additional considerations for multiunit buildings.
- Site and Lot Design and Development - This 1 hour module covers strategies and tactics for both site and lot development with emphasis on four key areas: site and lot selection; project team, mission statement and goals; site and lot design and site and lot development and construction.
- Resource Efficiency - This 1 hour module discusses smart material selection and maintenance reduction of recyclable materials.
- Building Science and the Whole House – This 1 hour module emphasizes a whole-house approach to build homes that are more environmentally sustainable and energy efficient. It explores key building science principles: heat transfer, moisture movement, air pressure and climate zone considerations.
- Energy Efficiency – Parts A and B - This 2 hour module covers how to achieve an energy-efficient building envelope through various conservation, consumption and alternative energy strategies. It explains performance benchmarks and the options for testing and achieving compliance with the NGBS.
- Indoor Environmental Quality - This 1 hour module covers indoor environmental quality strategies such as the reduction or elimination of potential sources of pollutants, control of pollutants, filtration of pollutants and mitigation of radon.
- Water Efficiency - This 1 hour module covers water efficiency strategies that can enable building industry professionals to respond to the vitally important environmental concern around limited water resources.
- Green Remodeling – Parts A and B - This 2 hour module explores the challenges and considerations of green remodeling projects and reviews how the NGBS uniquely approaches these projects.
- Marketing Green and High Performance Projects - This 1 hour module covers important aspects of marketing green and high performance projects including tailoring marketing activities to successfully attract targeted clients, using tactics that successfully and responsibly sell a green and high performance product and aligning aspects of your company with its sustainability and green commitment to distinguish yourself in the marketplace.
Advanced High Performance Building: Project Management - Combining Project Management Institute concepts with the “whole‐house” approach to building, this 6 hour full course identifies important systems, documents and communication strategies. It is highly recommended that the High Performance for Building Professionals course be taken prior to this, or that an attendee has a basic understanding of green certification programs and how they work.