Last updated: October 23, 2018
The National Association of Home Builders of the United States (“NAHB”, “we”, “us”, “our”) is committed to fulfilling our responsibilities under the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) in relation to the collection, retention, use, and other processing of personal data that is obtained when EU data subjects visit and interact with our websites, including www.nahb.org, www.buildersshow.com, www.nationalhousingcenter.com, www.housingeconomics.com, www.builderbooks.com, www.nahbcontracts.com, www.structure-productions.com, awards.nahb.org, www.internationalhousingassociation.org, www.tnah.com, www.tnarh.com, www.nahbnow.com, eyeonhousing.org, and www.valueofnahb.org (together, the “Websites,” and each individually, a “Website”). This Privacy Notice sets forth how we process EU personal data in our role as a data controller (i.e., when we are responsible for determining the purpose and means of the processing).
This Privacy Notice covers:
Personal Data We Collect
- How and Why We Use Your Personal Data
How We May Share Your Personal Data
- How We Protect Your Personal Data
- How Long We Retain Your Personal Data
- How We Transfer Your Personal Data
- Your Rights and Choices
- How to Contact Us
Personal Data We Collect
We may collect and process the following information about you:
- Contact data. You may provide us with your contact details, such as name, job title, employer, address, phone number, email address, or other similar information, which we may use to respond to you, to send you informational emails and updates, or for administrative purposes.
- Registration data. You may provide us with your contact details, such as name, job title, employer, address, phone number, email address or other similar information, photographs, account information such as username and password, webinar, training course and event selections, subscription selections, and payment information.
- Purchase data. You may provide us with your contact details, such as name, address, phone number, email address or other similar information, product and event selections, subscription selections, and payment information.
- NAHB International Builders’ Show data. You may provide us with your contact details, such as name, salutation, address, phone number, email address or other similar information; the name, email address or other similar information of your spouse or partner; the contact details of individuals you identify to receive your registration such as his or her email address; date of birth; city of birth; passport number; professional designation; social media handle; activity on the trade show floor; attendance at tradeshow sessions and events; recent purchases; and membership in other organizations. We also may collect special categories of personal data of a more sensitive personal nature such as health data in relation to hotel accommodations or accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Application data. You may provide us or our vendor with your contact details, such as name, address, phone number, email address or other similar information, information on your current employment, education-related information, recruitment information, photographs, and videos.
- Log data. As with most websites and technology services delivered over the Internet, our servers automatically collect information when you access or use our Websites and record that data in log files. This log data may include your Internet Protocol (IP) address, the address of the web page visited before using the Websites, browser type and settings, the date and time the Website was used, information about browser configuration and plugins, language preferences, and cookie data.
- Device Information. We may obtain information about devices that access the Websites, including the type of device, its operating system, device settings, unique device identifiers, and crash data.
- Other Information You Provide. This includes emails and other communications that you send us or otherwise contribute, such as membership or customer support inquiries or when you comment publicly on a Website. Please be aware that information you post on public parts of our Websites may be visible to anyone.
How and Why We Use Your Personal Data
We may use the personal data we obtain to:
- Communicate with you
- Provide you with customised content and services
- Allow you to participate in features we offer on our Website
- Send you advertisements
- Process your NAHB membership
- Process your account registrations
- Process your registrations for webinars, training courses, professional designations and other events
- Process your registration for the NAHB International Builders’ Show
- Reserve and confirm your hotel accommodations at the NAHB International Builders’ Show
- Provide for accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act at the NAHB International Builders’ Show
- Enhance your experience at the NAHB International Builders’ Show
- Process your purchases of products, subscriptions and services
- Process your job applications and make employment decisions
- Ensure the security and integrity of our Websites
- Maintain and promote our Websites
- Analyse and learn about how our Websites are accessed and used
- Manage our relationships with members and business partners
- Conduct research and analysis
- Protect our and others’ interests, rights, and property
- Comply with applicable legal requirements
We process your personal data pursuant to the following legal bases:
- You have consented to the use of your personal data. When you consent, you can change your mind at any time. For special categories of personal data, in limited circumstances, only with your explicit consent.
- The processing is necessary for us to provide you with the services and products you request, or to respond to your inquiries.
- We have a legal obligation to process your personal data, such as to comply with applicable tax and other government regulations or to comply with a court order or binding law enforcement request.
- To protect your vital interests, or those of others.
- We have a legitimate interest in using your personal data. In particular, we have a legitimate interest in the following cases:
- To analyse and improve the safety and security of our Websites. This includes implementing and enhancing security measures and protections and protecting against fraud, spam, and abuse.
- To maintain and improve our Websites.
- To operate our Websites and provide you with certain tailored advertising and communications to develop and promote our business.
- To operate our organization and events, including the NAHB International Builders’ Show.
Note that our Websites are dynamic. We may introduce new features, which may involve new or different personal data processing activities. If we intend to process your personal data for a purpose not described above, we will notify you and request your consent to the change as appropriate. We will also modify this Privacy Notice.
How We May Share Your Personal Data
We may share your personal data:
- With our affiliates or business partners when it is reasonably necessary or desirable, such as to help provide services to you or analyse and improve the Websites.
- With our service providers that perform services on our behalf. For example, we may use third parties to help us provide customer support, manage our advertisements on other websites, send marketing and other communications on our behalf, or assist with data storage.
- With our vendors that perform services on our behalf at events, including the NAHB International Builders’ Show. For example, we may use vendors to provide support with events such as reserving and confirming hotel accommodations or disability accommodations or for purposes of setting up the show floor or running the event.
- With third-party service providers. For example, we may share your email address with third parties in order for them to send notifications and advertisements about products, services, promotions, rewards and events we think you may be interested in.
- During negotiations of any proposed or actual transaction, such as a reorganisation, partnership or joint venture, or any other type of legal event.
How We Protect Your Personal Data
We maintain appropriate technical and organisational safeguards designed to help protect personal data from unauthorised disclosure or access and accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, or alteration. Although we use reasonable efforts to safeguard personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your information obtained through our Websites.
How Long We Retain Your Personal Data
We will store your personal data for no longer than is necessary for the performance of our obligations or to achieve the purposes for which the information was collected, or as may be permitted under applicable law. To determine the appropriate retention period, we will consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the data; the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of the data; the purposes for which we process the data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means; and the applicable legal requirements. Unless otherwise required by applicable law, at the end of the retention period we will remove personal data from our systems and records.
We Transfer Your Personal Data
If we transfer your personal data out of the European Economic Area (“EEA”) to countries not deemed by the European Commission to provide an adequate level of personal data protection, the transfer will be based on one of the following safeguards recognised by the European Commission as providing adequate protection for personal data, where required by EU data protection legislation:
- Contracts approved by the European Commission, which impose data protection obligations on the parties to the transfer.
- The EU - U.S. Privacy Shield Framework (for transfers to third parties in the United States that have self-certified to the Framework).
Please contact us if you want further information on the specific mechanism we have used to transfer your personal data.
Your Rights and Choices
The GDPR provides EU data subjects with certain rights regarding their personal data. Subject to certain conditions, you may ask us to take the following actions in relation to your personal data that we hold:
- Provide you with information about our processing of your personal data and give you access to your personal data.
- Update or correct inaccuracies in your personal data.
- Delete your personal data.
- Transfer a machine-readable copy of your personal data to you or a third party of your choice.
- Restrict the processing of your personal data.
- Object to our processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes.
- Object to reliance on our legitimate interests as the basis for processing of your personal data.
You can submit these requests by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or our postal address provided below. We may request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity prior to processing your request. Applicable law may require or permit us to decline your request. If we decline your request, we will tell you why, subject to legal restrictions. If you would like to submit a complaint about our use of your personal data or our response to your requests regarding your personal data, you may contact us at email@example.com or lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
Changes to the Privacy Notice
We may update this Privacy Notice to reflect changes to our information practices. Any changes will be effective immediately upon posting of the revised Privacy Notice. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
We can be contacted via e-mail sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or at the following address:
National Association of Home Builders
ATTN: PRIVACY INQUIRY
1201 15th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
United States of America