Choose Wisely: Hire a Certified Graduate Remodeler (CGR) and Graduate Master Remodeler (GMR)

blueprintYour home is probably the most significant investment you'll ever make. You need the very best to plan and execute your remodeling or renovation project. Look for a Certified Graduate Remodeler (CGR) or a Graduate Master Remodeler (GMR).

CGRs and GMRs have earned professional designations from NAHB specific to the remodeling industry, and many are members of a local Remodelers Council, which are affiliated with NAHB Remodelers.

When you hire a CGR or GMR, you are doing business with an individual who is committed to continuing education and professional growth and will bring exceptional skill and knowledge to your project. 

"After getting bids from two remodelers, I chose mine based on his CGR. To me, the CGR designation indicates he goes the extra mile."
- Kristy Abbett, Middletown, Ind.

To become a CGR, a remodeler must have at least five years of experience in the industry, take a qualifying exam and successfully complete a pre-set curriculum of courses specific to the remodeling industry, including project and business management.  

The GMR allows experienced CGRs to attain additional training and recognition for their longevity in the remodeling industry. This program is the equivalent of a master level for the CGR designation. All GMRs must have a minimum of 15 years’ remodeling experience, complete five more required courses and have years of experience as a CGR or another respected remodeling association.

In addition, CGRs and GMRs are required to carry workers’ compensation and liability insurance and maintain a valid business license, where required by their state or local jurisdiction. Upon earning the designation, they must sign a Code of Ethics specific to their designation. CGRs and GMRs also are required to complete 12 hours of continuing education related to building and remodeling every three years. 

Use the GMR directory and CGR directory to find a professional near you, simply searching by state or ZIP code.