The ultimate symbol of the home building professional, the Graduate Master Builder (GMB) designation is for veteran builders. The courses required for the GMB provide advanced knowledge of the building business, covering topics such as risk management, land acquisition and financial management.
- Possess either an active Certified Graduate Builder (CGB) or Certified Graduate Remodeler (CGR) designation and have five years of building experience.
- Complete three CGB or CGR-approved courses and possess 10 years of building experience.
Curriculum and Other Requirements
- Be a “builder” according to the following criteria: primary executive/owner of a company, superintendent or lead carpenter, or construction executive personnel/employee* who has built a minimum of one dwelling over the past 24 months.
- Complete five courses from the list of approved GMB courses.
- Complete four courses from the list of approved GMB courses and two courses from the CGB- or CGR-approved course list that you did not take to obtain your CGB or CGR designation.
- Complete and submit the online GMB graduation application or the print version.
- Sign the GMB Code of Ethics pledge.
- Provide proof of liability insurance and workers’ compensation insurance for yourself or be an employee* of a company that holds both (where required by local jurisdiction).
- Provide proof of your residential builder’s or contractor’s license, certificate or registration for the state in which you do business, or be an employee* of a company that holds a license, certificate or registration (where required by local jurisdiction).
- Provide a letter of sponsorship from the owner/executive stipulating your position within the company as either superintendent, lead contractor or construction executive, if you are not the owner of the company.
*Employee in an executive or management position with discretionary authority over building and construction matters, excluding office management and administrative personnel such as office manager or accountant.
Complete five out of the seven courses listed below:
- High-Performance Building: Building Science
- Advanced High Performance Building: Project Management
- Diversification: Capitalizing on New Business Opportunities
- Financial Management
- Land Development: Getting Started, Business Management & Financing
- Risk Management for Builders and Remodelers
- Site Planning, Approvals & Construction
- Universal Design Essentials
Note: Candidates may substitute two CGB-approved courses for any one GMB-approved course, provided those courses were not used to obtain his or her original CGB or CGR designation.
Local course fees are determined by the HBA or other educational license holder that holds the classes.
National Fees for one-day courses:
- $279 member
- $419 non-member
National Fees for two-day courses:
- $469 member
- $679 non-member
Graduation and Renewal Fees
Premium Option: A mailed graduation kit that includes a customized GMB plaque, lapel pin, ribbon and “Build with Confidence” consumer brochures.
- $145 member
- $218 non-member
Standard Option: Kit available online only (includes downloadable designation certificate).
- $75 member
- $110 non-member
- $65 member
- $95 non-member
Effective Jan. 1, 2022, designees who have lapsed longer than one year from their renewal date will pay a $50 reinstatement fee in addition to the renewal fee.
Continuing Education Requirements
NAHB designees are required to complete four hours or credits each year. Designees are NOT required to send in proof of continuing education (CE) earned at time of renewal. However, designees may be chosen for a random audit and NAHB will contact them directly to provide proof of CE. View continuing education requirements for NAHB designations.