Learn about the home building business from the best source possible: builders and remodelers with years of field experience. Earned through classroom instruction, the Certified Graduate Associate (CGA) designation affirms your level of industry knowledge and your commitment to professionalism in the building industry. It’s an excellent choice for suppliers and professionals serving the home building industry as a way to demonstrate commitment to your clients.
Curriculum and Other Requirements
To be eligible to earn the CGA designation, you must have two years of building industry experience and successfully complete:
In addition, you must complete two courses from the list of approved electives below:
- Advanced High Performance Building: Project Management
- Basics of High Performance Building
- Business Accounting and Job Costing: A Road Map to Profitability
- Construction Contracts and Law
- Design Concepts for Livable Homes and Aging in Place (CAPS II)
- Estimating and Scheduling for Profitable Business Operations
- Financial Management
- House Construction as a Selling Tool
- Land Development: Getting Started, Business Management & Financing
- Marketing and Communicating with the Aging in Place Client (CAPS I)
- Marketing and Sales for Building Professionals
- The New Home Sales Professional
- Project Management
- Site Planning, Approvals & Construction
- Understanding Today’s New Home Buyer
- Universal Design Essentials
- Complete and submit the online CGA graduation application or the print version
- Submit a signed copy of the CGA Code of Ethics pledge or agree to the terms electronically
- Members: $279
- Non-members: $419
Local course fees are determined by the HBA or other educational license holder that holds the classes.
Graduation and Renewal Fees
Grad Kit Available Online/Print (Includes customized plaque, lapel pin and ribbon)
- Members: $145
- Non-members: $218
Available Online Only (Includes downloadable designation certificate)
- Members: $75
- Non-members: $110
Annual Renewal Fees
- Members: $65
- Non-members: $95
Effective Jan. 1, 2022, designees who have lapsed longer than one year from their renewal date will pay a $50 reinstatement fee in addition to the renewal fee.
Apply now if you have met all CGA requirements.
Continuing Education Requirements
NAHB designees are required to complete four hours or credits each year. Designees are NOT required to send in proof of continuing education (CE) earned at time of renewal. However, designees may be chosen for a random audit and NAHB will contact them directly to provide proof of CE. View continuing education requirements for NAHB designations.