Learn about the home building business from the best source possible: builders and remodelers with years of field experience. Earned through classroom instruction, the Certified Graduate Associate (CGA) designation affirms your level of industry knowledge and your commitment to professionalism in the building industry. It's an excellent choice for suppliers and professionals serving the home building industry as a way to demonstrate commitment to your clients.
Curriculum and Other Requirements
To be eligible to earn the CGA designation, you must have two years of building industry experience and successfully complete Business Management for Building Professionals.
In addition, you must complete two courses from the list of approved electives below:
- Advanced High Performance Building: Project Management
- Business Accounting and Job Costing: A Road Map to Profitability
- Certified New Home Sales Professional
- Construction Contracts and Law
- Design Concepts for Livable Homes and Aging in Place (CAPS II)
- Estimating and Scheduling for Profitable Business Operations
- Financial Management
- High Performance Building for Building Professionals
- House Construction as a Selling Tool
- Land Acquisition and Development Finance
- Land Development, Site Planning and Zoning
- Marketing and Communicating with the Aging in Place Client (CAPS I)
- Marketing and Sales for Building Professionals
- Project Management
- Universal Design Essentials
- Complete and submit the online CGA graduation application or the print version
- Submit a signed copy of the CGA Code of Ethics pledge or agree to the terms electronically
- Members: $279
- Non-members: $419
Local course fees are determined by the HBA or other educational license holder that holds the classes.
Graduation and Renewal Fees
Grad Kit Available Online/Print (Includes customized plaque, lapel pin and ribbon)
- Members: $145
- Non-members: $218
Available Online Only (Includes downloadable designation certificate)
- Members: $75
- Non-members: $110
Annual Renewal Fees
- Members: $55
- Non-members: $83
Apply now if you have met all CGA requirements.
Continuing Education Requirements
Complete 12 hours every three years from building industry-related educational activities. Designees are not required to send in proof of CE earned at time of renewal. If they are chosen for a random audit, NAHB will contact them directly and ask for the proof of CE at that time.