New year, new decade. Time to breathe new life into home design.
Restoration, optimism and sophistication are woven throughout this year’s selection of colors of the year, announced annually by Pantone and various major paint manufacturers. Each color represents an expected trend by each company, based on the current activity in the industry and what it anticipates for the year ahead.
Clear patterns for 2020 include nature-inspired hues, soft, cheerful pastels and timeless basics to create inviting spaces intended for recharging to tackle the year ahead.
– Classic Blue, a simple, elegant hue that provides a relaxing environment.
[caption id="attachment_17018" align="alignright" width="300"]
Behr's 2020 Color of the Year, Back to Nature[/caption]
"A boundless blue evocative of the vast and infinite evening sky, Classic Blue encourages us to look beyond the obvious to expand our thinking — challenging us to think more deeply, increase our perspective and open the flow of communication," stated Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute.
– Back To Nature, a restorative and meadow-inspired green that sets the tone for the company's 2020 color trends palette.
– First Light, "a soft, rosy hue blooming with potential" to brighten the years to come.
[caption id="attachment_17019" align="alignleft" width="300"]
Dunn Edwards' 2020 Color of the Year, Minty Fresh[/caption]
– Minty Fresh to capture "the enthusiasm and optimism of a new decade."
HGTV Home by Sherwin-Williams
– Romance, a calming blush that pairs well with the company's Simply Blissful 2020 Color Collection of the Year, comprising warm neutrals and peaceful jewel tones.
– Chinese Porcelain, a blend of "cobalt and moody, inky blue that imparts calmness and restful sleep while also offering the spirit of hopefulness."
– Naval, a rich navy that evokes the power of nature to inspire confidence as well as a connection to the outdoors.
[caption id="attachment_17020" align="alignright" width="300"]
One of Valspar's 12 colors of the year, Bombay Pink[/caption]
Rather than pinpoint one specific color, Valspar
announced a color palette of 12 hues it expects to trend throughout the year:
- Winter Calm – a sophisticated, lavender-hued neutral for every space.
- Canyon Earth – a hint of rustic elegance combined with the earthiness of sunbaked clay.
- Desert Fortress – a sandy tone embodying "quiet recharge, [and] promoting self-expression and simplicity."
- Pale Powder – an earthy, timeless tan that balances well against cool tones.
- Secret Moss – a neutral with a strong balance between old and new to bring the outdoors in.
- Secluded Garden – an "ocean-inspired jewel tone” that presents a trendy sense of "new-stalgia."
- Tempered Sage – a "fresh take on lime green" that’s equally calming and invigorating.
- Grey Brook – blue-gray tones blended for a casual look.
- Mint Whisper – a clean, airy green to promote positivity and well-being.
- Utterly Blue – a twist on this year’s nautical theme, this cornflower blue imbues youthfulness and renewed strength.
- Bombay Pink – a rich neutral for sophisticated spaces.
- Crushed Out – a hushed blush that provides fresh take on off-white.
Stay tuned for more design trends to come in 2020.