[caption id="attachment_16065" align="alignright" width="300"]
2019 Best of 55+ Housing Community of the Year Latitude Margaritaville. Photo: Rob-Harris Productions[/caption]
Boomer home buyers looking to retire want to get the most out of their home equity
, and are looking for communities and amenities that match their aspirations
while providing them opportunities to life comfortably on a fixed monthly income. These communities may be in destination locations or near their current residence, depending on how close they want to stay and what the cost of living is.
What determines a good value in 55+ living? 55places.com
recently released its list of top 25 value communities, based on factors such as average price per square foot, construction dates, range of amenity options, lifestyle clubs, home owners' association (HOA) fees, resident reviews, local property taxes and the cost of living in the surrounding area.
Several 55+ Housing Industry Council members
and Best of 55+ Housing award winners
were recognized, including:
*55+ Housing Industry Council member
- Four Seasons at The Lakes of Cane Bay – Summerville, S.C.
(2017 Best of 55+ Housing Silver Award winner)
- Robson Ranch – Eloy, Ariz.*
(2017 Community of the Year, 2017 Best of 55+ Housing Gold and Silver Award winner)
- Solivita – Kissimmee, Fla.
(2018 Best of 55+ Housing Gold and Silver Award winner, 2017 Best of 55+ Housing Gold Award winner)
- Latitude Margaritaville – Daytona Beach, Fla.*
(2019 Community of the Year, 2019 Best of 55+ Housing Gold and Silver Award winner)
- Sunbird – Chandler, Ariz.*
- Noble's Pond – Dover, Del.*
(2019 Best of 55+ Housing Gold and Silver Award winner, 2017 and 2018 Best of 55+ Housing Silver Award winner)
- On Top of the World – Ocala, Fla.
(2019 Best of 55+ Housing Gold and Silver Award winner)
- Jubilee at Los Lunas – New Mexico*
Each of these has ample amenities for its residents to enjoy — some have more than one gathering spot or clubhouse — as well as desirable locations, modern and affordable designs, and outdoor features and activities. See the full list here
To be successful in this niche of the home building industry, pros recommend the following tips:
- Know ‘your’ consumer and claim your niche.
- Give your consumer a reason to move.
- Focus on what’s next.
- Location, location, location.
- Design that brings people together.
- The right amenities are critical.
- Total cost of ownership is important.
- Make being well easy.
- It’s all about the grandkids.
- Hire a lifestyle facilitator.
(Read more in the Fall 2018 issue
of the 55+ Housing Online
Looking for an opportunity to spotlight your own community and be ranked among some of these top communities? Apply for the Best of 55+ Awards today at awards.nahb.org
! The extended deadline is Sept. 6.