NAHB Chairman Greg Ugalde and First Vice Chairman Dean Mon conducted two days of meetings this week with Republican and Democratic leaders on Capitol Hill to urge lawmakers to address growing housing affordability concerns and keep housing in the forefront of the national agenda.
The NAHB Senior Officers reiterated the importance of housing and homeownership to the economy and called on Congress to ease needless regulatory burdens that are contributing to rising housing costs.
Discussions were held over a two-day period with more than two dozen influential lawmakers from both sides of the political aisle, including:
- House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.)
- Senate Majority Whip John Thune (R-S.D.)
- House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.)
- House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.)
- House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard Neal (D-Mass.)
- Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.)
- Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.)
- Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.)
Talks centered on the need to enact policies that would:
- Reduce or eliminate unnecessary regulations to make homeownership and rental housing more affordable for teachers, firefighters, police officers and other middle-class families.
- Adopt sensible workforce development and immigration policy that will help ease a chronic shortage in the housing industry that is resulting in higher construction costs.
- Provide a stable supply of credit for home buyers, home builders and rental housing.
- Achieve a long-term reauthorization of the National Flood Insurance Program that will keep the program fiscally sound and let builders provide safe and affordable housing.
[gallery type="slideshow" columns="1" size="large" link="file" ids="https://nahbnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Kevin-McCarthy.jpg|House Minority Leader Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) meets with NAHB Chairman Greg Ugalde and NAHB First Vice Chairman Dean Mon.,https://nahbnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Jim-Clyburn.jpg|House Majority Whip Rep. Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.) meets with NAHB Chairman Greg Ugalde, NAHB First Vice Chairman Dean Mon, and NAHB staff.,https://nahbnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/John-Thune.jpg|Senate Majority Whip Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) meets with NAHB Chairman Greg Ugalde, NAHB First Vice Chairman Dean Mon, and NAHB staff.,https://nahbnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Richard-Neal.jpg|Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee Rep. Richard Neal (D-Mass.) meets with NAHB Chairman Greg Ugalde and NAHB First Vice Chairman Dean Mon.,https://nahbnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Ben-Ray-Lujan.jpg|Assistant House Speaker Ben Ray Luján (D-N.M.) meets with NAHB Chairman Greg Ugalde.,https://nahbnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Catherine-Cortez-Masto.jpg|Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto (D-Nev.) meets with NAHB Chairman Greg Ugalde.,https://nahbnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Chris-Murphy.jpg|Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) meets with NAHB Chairman Greg Ugalde and NAHB First Vice Chairman Dean Mon.,https://nahbnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Stephanie-Murphy.jpg|Rep. Stephanie Murphy (D-Fla.) meets with NAHB First Vice Chairman Dean Mon.,https://nahbnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Lacy-Clay.jpg|Rep. Lacy Clay (D-Mo.) meets with NAHB First Vice Chairman Dean Mon.,https://nahbnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/todd-young.jpg|Sen. Todd Young (R-Ind.) meets with NAHB First Vice Chairman Dean Mon."]
Make Your Voice Heard
NAHB members have a unique opportunity to build on the efforts of their leadership team by attending the 2019 Legislative Conference on Wednesday, June 5 in Washington, D.C. The event, which will be held in conjunction with the June 4-8 Spring Leadership Meeting, will allow builders to meet with their federal lawmakers on Capitol Hill to discuss the important issues listed above, as well as other matters that impact their businesses and communities.
For more information on the Legislative Conference, contact Michael Bezruki
at 1-800-368-5242 x8542.