[caption id="attachment_3374" align="alignleft" width="300"] A pocket office for a modern home[/caption]
A powerful selling tool is a home that functions smoothly and saves precious time and labor for the home owner, and not necessarily the number of bedrooms and bathrooms it has.
This was the message delivered during an educational seminar on must-have design ideas at the 2019 at the International Builders' Show
in Las Vegas.
Deryl Patterson, president of Housing Design Matters
based in Jacksonville, Fla., listed the following spaces and features to emphasize in a new home:
- Open, entertaining kitchen. Oversized islands with ample seating is "where the party is."
- Extra-large walk-in pantry. This recognizes that many home owners increasingly prefer to shop in bulk.
- Connected laundry room. Placing a laundry room in a master closet with its main door off the hallway allows family members to cut down the distance to take dirty clothes to the laundry room and clean clothes back to their closets.
- Office alcove. Many home owners may not need a large home office, but a dedicated space as little as 5 feet by 6 feet that includes a built-in desk and shelves can be used by adults in the household and be a perfect place for kids to do homework.
- Showers beat baths. If you only have room for one fixture, choose a shower over a tub and even consider a super-sized shower instead of a standard tub and shower. A bathroom should have his-and-her vanities and a separate toilet room.
- Ample master closet. The master closet should be large and memorable. A 2,000-square-foot home should have 20 lineal feet and the size of the closet should track the size of the house, said Patterson.
The latest color trend for a home is gray, according to Kay Green, owner and founder of Kay Green Design, Inc
. headquartered in Jacksonville, Fla. "Gray appeals to millennials because it is hip, very soothing and goes with anything," said Green.
Comparable to results found in NAHB's What Home Buyers Want survey
, Green observed that the most popular flooring in homes is wood and another advantage is that it can cover all price ranges.
LED lighting remains very popular, and buyers are also increasingly seeking out green homes crafted with no volatile organic compound (VOC) construction materials.