Social media is where many people — including prospective home buyers and current home owners — are spending time these days. Communications channels such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest and more provide a wide-reaching, cost-effective opportunity to promote special events such as New Homes Month and National Homeownership Month.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Connect with members, Realtors, media sponsors and other advocates on social media and ask them to help spread the word about New Homes Month and National Homeownership Month.
- Ask your Facebook fans to post on your wall why they think homeownership is great, why they bought a house or to post pictures of their homes.
- Blog about the benefits of homeownership or buying a new home, or invite a few home owners to be guest bloggers and write about why they love their homes. Some good sites where you can launch your own blog include Wordpress and Blogger.
- Blog or create photo albums with descriptions about new home technologies or green building practices.
- Create a local Instagram photo competition! Encourage people to take photos of what homeownership means to them and tag with a branded hashtag you create.
- Build a Pinterest board in which people can select pictures of houses or interiors they like and tag them with a tag you create.
- Develop a virtual tour of niche communities in your area, using a slideshow or video and post on Facebook or YouTube.
- Work with a Realtor to organize a “tweet-up” at a few open houses. This is a special event that is spread through the social media vine, so always prepare for more people than you might expect. These should be more than just a regular open house, but also a social event where people can mingle and talk about why they want to buy a house. Post the time and place on your Twitter and Facebook accounts and blog, and encourage people to spread the word through social media. Make sure the event is worthy — have food, nametags, a raffle or speaker and of course, a WiFi connection.
NAHB will use social media to promote the benefits of new homes and homeownership throughout April and June, and you can repost our facts and messages to your own social media network. Feel free to use NAHB’s social media resources to enhance your own online presence:
- Use these sample social media posts to promote New Homes month in April or these sample social media posts to promote National Homeownership in June. You can also edit them to create your own posts.
- Re-post messages seen on NAHB’s Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin accounts.
- Add the NAHB Twitter feed to your website. This feed is updated regularly with new information and messages. Enter “NAHBhome” into the username box, customize the settings to your liking and paste the code into your website.
- Use the hashtags #NewHomesMonth in April, and #HomeownershipMonth in June. Tag us on social media so we can see what you’re doing with @NAHBhome.