Industry Trends & Emerging Issues
- Multifamily Builders and Developers
- Land Development
- Single Family - All
Level of Content:
What It's About:
Newly created by recent federal tax reform legislation, ‘Opportunity Zones’ are economically-distressed zones/areas certified by the U.S. Treasury where new investments are eligible for preferential tax treatment, notably deferral of capital gains taxes. Over 8,700 opportunity zones have been designated thus far, offering a variety of intriguing new development possibilities for residential builders, developers and remodelers, including multifamily and affordable housing, renovation and remodeling of existing housing and commercial construction. This session will describe the Opportunity Zone program and how residential builders can play a role in this emerging sector.
What You'll Learn:
- Identify the likely land uses and types of housing to be built in these zones.
- Explore the capital that is likely to flow into these zones and how projects might be financed.
- Learn how and to what degree Opportunity Zone funding can be paired with LIHTC capital to build affordable housing.
- Discover who the early movers are in this investment space, and how and where they are investing.