If you live in an area that is at risk for wildfires, it’s important that you take a few steps now to ensure you are prepared if you need to quickly evacuate. Basic emergency preparation tips that all households should follow include:
- Creating an emergency preparedness kit
- Developing an evacuation plan if you need to quickly leave your home
The American Red Cross offers three basic tips to follow if wildfires are reported in your area:
- Listen to local area radio, NOAA radio or TV stations for the latest wildfire information.
- Be prepared to evacuate at a moment’s notice. You can use the Red Cross map to track current fires and find open shelters.
- Check your emergency kit and replenish any items missing or in short supply, especially medications or medical supplies.
- Homeowners’ Checklistfrom the California Department of Forestry & Fire Protection (Cal Fire) provides tips to safeguard both the inside and outside of your home from fire.
- Home Fire Escape Plan from the American Red Cross helps you develop escape routes that the entire household should practice.