The Master Certified Green Professional (Master CGP) designation builds on the concepts taught in the Certified Green Professional™ (CGP) program, providing a more in-depth and much more advanced study of green building science and methods. It covers topics such as building science techniques, the high-performance home and marketing strategies for selling green. Master CGP also teaches you ways to decrease the liabilities associated with green building and how to incorporate green building certification into your scheduling and project management.
Curriculum and Other Requirements
- High Performance Building for Building Professionals
- Business Management for Building Professionals (online) OR hold an NAHB designation
- Advanced Green Building: Building Science (2-day course)
- Advanced High Performance Building: Project Management
- Complete and submit the online Master CGP graduation application or the print version
- Only building industry professionals* are eligible. If you are not a builder or remodeler, you must be involved in the design, specification and/or supervision of projects from start to finish
- You must have five years of green building experience and have built, remodeled or been involved with the construction of at least three dwellings that have been certified to the ICC 700 National Green Building Standard or a recognized local, state or national green residential rating program
- You must provide proof of the following: valid liability insurance, proof of workers’ compensation and a valid business or contractor’s license (if required by the state(s) in which you do business).
- Must sign and adhere to the Master CGP Code of Ethics or agree to the terms electronically
*Employee in an executive or management position with discretionary authority over building and construction matters, excluding office management and administrative personnel, such as office manager or accountant.
Local course fees are determined by a licensed HBA or other organization that administers the classes.
National course fees:
- Two-day courses
- $420 for NAHB member
- $630 for non-member
- One-day course
- $220 for member
- $330 for non-member
Premium Option: Kit Available Online/Print (Includes customized plaque, lapel pin and ribbon)
- $145 for member
- $218 for non-member
Standard Option: Available Online Only (Includes downloadable designation certificate)
- $75 member
- $110 non-member
Annual renewal fees
- $55 for member
- $83 for non-member
Continuing Education Requirements
To maintain your Master CGP designation, you are required to complete 12 hours of continuing education every three years. A minimum of eight hours is required to come from green building industry-related educational activities. Designees are not required to send in proof of CE earned at time of renewal. If they are chosen for a random audit, NAHB will contact them directly and ask for the proof of CE at that time.