The home building industry celebrates National Homeownership Month in June, which provides HBAs and members with the perfect opportunity to highlight the benefits of homeownership and encourage recognition of the vital role that homeownership plays in our nation’s economy.
NAHB’s National Homeownership Month toolkit provides articles, templates, advertisements and other resources to help members and HBAs promote homeownership.
In addition to using the prepared materials in the toolkit, consider celebrating National Homeownership Month in other ways. The media, city and county officials, local home buyers and other members of your community are ideal audiences for outreach activities promoting the advantages of homeownership.
Also consider leveraging the growing reach of social media by implementing some of the ideas in NAHB’s guide Promoting National Homeownership Month Using Social Media.
Here are some ideas on how you can celebrate and bring attention to National Homeownership Month in June:
- Share what the local community thinks about their local housing market with the NAHB Housing Portal. You can select a state or congressional district to better understand the state of the housing industry in your local area. You can also discover what housing policies local constituents think their lawmakers should support to help the middle class.
- Contact your newspaper to create a special tabloid section on homeownership using the consumer articles. If you need a list of local media contacts, NAHB’s media team can prepare one for you.
- Contact a local talk radio station and offer to host a special program, or series of programs, during June to discuss key homeownership subjects such as advancements in home construction or green building techniques. Involve several members with different specialties to address the wide range of questions that callers may have.
- Plan a news conference to kick off National Homeownership Month; hold it on the front porch of a newly-constructed home or one you have helped to rehabilitate for a deserving family. Use the talking points on homeownership.
Showcase Local Projects to Elected Officials
- Invite local officials and the media to observe successful and innovative housing developments in your area that are using new technologies or green building techniques.
- Organize tours of niche communities that are relevant to consumers in your area, such as multifamily developments or active adult communities. Involve a variety of project stakeholders (developers, architects, etc.) who can describe how the communities evolved and the different benefits of each.
Educate Local Home Buyers
- Host a homeownership fair, workshop or seminar. Partner with other industry professionals in your community to provide current information on area lenders and buyer assistance information.
- Organize a housing forum to provide an opportunity for public and industry leaders to examine and discuss the state of the housing situation in your community. Ask experts such as a mortgage banker, an economist from the local college, and a Realtor to speak. Invite the media and the public to attend.
Get Your Community Involved
- Participate in or organize a community service project. Spruce up a local homeless or women’s shelter, repair a playground, host a donation drive or do something else that benefits the community. Or, contact your local Habitat for Humanity, Rebuilding Together or Youth Build organization to contribute to programs already scheduled in June.
- Host a playhouse design and building contest among your members. Invite the public to an auction, with the benefits of the sale of the playhouses going to a local charity. Award prizes for most innovative design, most colorful, etc. to give recognition to your members.